A basement foundation is probably the most expensive of all kinds of building foundations. When it needs a repair, the cost may be scary, or not. A basement foundation increases the value of an apartment. Therefore, the cost of fixing a damaged basement may not be scary if you are selling the apartment. It may also not be scary if your need for extra space beneath exceeds the cost of maintenance. Most importantly, you should never take any sign of cracks, leaks, sinks, or bows for granted if you have a basement foundation. If you already have a damaged basement foundation, you need to fix it before the damage gets out of hand.
Leave foundation repair to the experts! Our team specializes in basement foundation repair San Diego. We thank you for reading our blog presented by the professionals at Better Foundation Repair San Diego.
The cost of a basement foundation repair depends on a lot of things. For instance, the extent of damage can determine how much you will spend fixing a bad basement foundation. Some of the factors that can affect the cost of a basement foundation repair are:
Any damages affecting the basement structure will cost more than a mere crack or leak. For instance:
- A crack repair will cost about $250- $800, depending on the extent of the damage. If the crack goes deeper than ⅛ inches and requires that the walls are reinforced, you might spend up to $4000 or more.
- A foundation leak repair costs about $2000- $7000, and you may need to install a sump pump which costs about $490- $1,170.
- A sinking foundation will cost around $500-$3,000 per unit because the professional working on it will need to find a way to level the ground by either piering it or mud jacking it, which is less expensive than piering.
- To get it fixed, a bowing wall will have to spend between $350- $1000. The amount to be spent to fix a bowing wall depends on the extent to which the walls have bowed. A homeowner can pay as much as $15,000 for a wall that has bowed more than 2 inches in. If you are fixing basement drainage, expect to spend up to $2,869. However, you don’t have to spend up to that amount, especially if the minor damages. Minor damages may not cost you more than $100.
The cost of fixing a basement foundation depends mainly on the kind of repair carried out in the basement. There are several kinds of repair methods:
- Basement underpinning or piering which costs about $1000- $3000
- Basement jacking which costs about $500- $1300
- Basement stabilization is a more expensive basement foundation repair. It costs about $4000- $12000
- Basement sealing or waterproofing will cost about $2000- $7000
The size and accessibility; a bigger building, means a bigger basement foundation and typically implies that more resources will be needed to fix the damage. For instance, if there is a need to install hydraulic piers, the larger the building, the more piers are required in order to support the foundation. More so, a basement foundation can cost more if it is difficult to access. If there is a need to remove landscaping, then the cost is bound to go up. Piers and crawl spaces are basement foundations that are easily accessible.
The foundation’s unstable foundation will result in constant contraction and expansion, the most common basement foundation problems. The continuous instability will cause the foundation to shift, thereby causing cracks in the wall, door and window frames pulling from the wall. The more unstable the soil is, the more you have to pay for repair. This is because the problem can only be solved by stabilizing the ground on which the basement stands. With piers, for instance, you can ensure a stable foundation with steel push or helical piers. This costs more than the normal piering. A poor drainage system can also cause instability of the soil. The drainage system required for your basement determines your soil stability and how much you will need to spend when fixing the drainage to ensure proper water and moisture control.
According to HomeAdvisor, “the damage and costs resulting from water damage can be significant.” In other words, you need to take deliberate actions to guard against water penetration into your basement. The truth is, no matter how expensive waterproofing is, it’s much cheaper than fixing the damages that would arise when your basement gets flooded. To prevent water damage from reoccurring or occurring for the first time, you need to waterproof both the interior and exterior. Sealing the exterior of your basement will cost between $1500 and $15000, depending on the size of your basement and other factors. Whereas sealing the interior will cost about $1000 or more
The cost of basement foundation repair is high. However, the value of a home with a basement is high as well. The value exceeds the cost. But then, you can cut down the cost of repair by;
- Getting cheap and quality materials.
- Contacting several contractors and ask for their estimates, this way you get to choose the cheapest best.
- Go with professionals that offer free inspections and estimates.
- Go with contractors that offer flexible payment plans.
- Getting the cost-effective option.
- Doing the repairs gradually starting with the areas that require the most attention.
Meanwhile, the ideal way to save on costs is by being deliberate about your basement maintenance. Pay attention to cracks and leaks and ensure you have a functional drainage system. Please don’t ignore it when your floor appears sloped or warped or when your walls seem bowed or bulging. If your window frames are separating from the brick or the door frame no longer fits the wall, you need to check it. Ignoring little damages will definitely result in structural damage, and this costs a lot more to fix. The better way around this is to have an engineer you can call on if anything is out of place.